Simply put, our compression socks and stockings help to improve your circulation in your lower legs and feet. They are made of tight fitting material that help the blood vessels in your legs carry blood more efficiently back to your heart.
WHO SHOULD USE THEM?
If you suffer from varicose veins, chronic venous insufficiency (CVT), deep vein thrombosis (DVT), or any other condition that affects your blood circulation, compression socks or stockings may help. We also suggest that you consider them if any of the following categories apply to you:
- SITTING If you sit all day at work, you are at a higher risk of forming blood clots in your lower extremities, as you can lose up to half of the blood flow to your lower legs and feet in just 90 minutes of sitting.
- STANDING Being up on your feet puts an extra 20% workload on your circulatory system. This can cause fatigue and varicose veins.
- EXERCISING Wearing compression socks after a workout increases the blood flow, bringing more oxygen to your muscle tissue and improving recovery rates. It has also been shown to reduce muscle soreness by up to 28%.
- TRAVELLING Extended travel has been proven to increase the risk of blood clots forming in the leg veins. Studies show that wearing compression socks/stockings while travelling can significantly reduce the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis and leg swelling.
- EXPECTING Pregnant women have higher blood volume and pressure, which leads to inhibited blood flow, resulting in swelling, fatigue, and varicose veins. 30% of all expectant mothers will experience varicose veins during their first pregnancy.
Stockings are tightest at ankles and feet therefore increasing blood flow back towards the larger veins
HOW DO THEY WORK?
Your circulatory system is designed to carry blood to and from your extremities. Due to the effects of gravity, high blood pressure, and various other factors, it becomes increasingly difficult for your heart to pump blood back up from your lower legs and feet to your heart. Pooling of blood, swelling in your lower legs, ankles, and feet can result, and be very dangerous, painful, and uncomfortable.
HOW DO YOU BENEFIT? Compression socks and/or stockings worn over the affected area compresses the blood vessels and helps the blood to move more effectively, relieving the symptoms and improving your health and quality of life. They can also significantly improve muscle recovery and relieve exercise-related pain. They are often used by athletes to shorten recovery times after workouts and ease the pain of tired, achy legs and feet.
WHAT DO THEY LOOK LIKE?
We’ve all seen runners and other athletes wearing compression sleeves/socks after a race, but compression wear is not solely athletic. What you probably don’t know is that there are many stylish compression socks/stockings on the market in Toronto that can be worn every day, whether to the office or in a casual setting. No one will even realize you’re wearing them.
Find more information about compression socks, here.